Sunday 24 November 2019

The Sweet: An Awkward Encounter With The Group's Onetime Vocalist Brian Connolly

Originally published in Rave-Up #11 (1986)
Interview by Devorah Ostrov

During a Rave-Up holiday in London, my friend Sara and I met onetime Sweet vocalist Brian Connolly. Sadly, it was not the wonderfully fun encounter you might have imagined.

Sweet - 1973 Bravo magazine 
(Photo: Gered Mankowitz)
Y'know, prior to this interview, someone could've told me that the guys in Sweet weren't completely thrilled with their outrageous early-seventies glam rock persona. And maybe someone could've mentioned that Brian Connolly didn't thoroughly enjoy performing all those fabulous bubblegum pop tunes penned by the team of Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman.

If I'd known beforehand how much they yearned to be a normal-looking, normal-sounding hard rock outfit, I could've prepared some earnest questions. (Or perhaps skipped the whole thing and avoided what was probably once, a long time ago, Connolly's sure-fire pick-up line: "Come sit next to me, little girl.") Instead, I blundered my way through this (as it turned out) very short and somewhat awkward exchange with the group's former lead singer. At least he was mildly interested when he heard that Sara and I were from California.

Brian Connolly on the cover of Music Star - 1974
Brian: I'll never forget the States. We had the wrong image when we went over there. We weren't doing our own material. We weren't doing rock, which the Sweet was all about. We were doing the commercial Chinn and Chapman songs. We were doing all that glam/glitter stuff.

Q: But we loved Sweet's glam image and all those Chinn and Chapman songs!

Brian: Oh, we got away with it, but we didn't think we would in the States. We thought we would shake off the glitter and the lipstick. We thought America was ready for rock, and we could be the rock band we wanted to be. We arrived in Los Angeles, got to the Sunset Strip, and there it was in huge glam rock neon: WELCOME THE SWEET!

Q: So, you guys didn't like the Chinn and Chapman tunes? You wanted to be a hard rock band.

Brian: Oh God, yeah! Well, it was mainly me. A lot of the Chinn and Chapman songs were based on me. "Little Willy" was based on me. I was a bloody alley cat. If there was a club or a party, I would never go home, as in: "Little Willy, Willy won't go home/But you can't push Willy round/Willy won't go..." Also, if you're from Scotland [Brian was born in Glasgow], they either call you Jimmy or Willy. Chapman got wind of this and said, "Hey, Blue..." That's what he called me. "Why do they keep calling you Willy?" I explained it to him, and he said, "Great! That's bloody great!" Then one night, he came up to me and said he had an idea about a song — it was "Little Willy."

The Sweet (publicity photo)
Q: What about "Ballroom Blitz"?

Brian: "Ballroom Blitz" was written during the time of the ballrooms, when they were literally going berserk in this country. We had "stomp-mania." It was us and Slade. We were literally pulling gigs to bits with people just going berserk!

Q: Would you consider working with Steve, Andy, and Mick again?

Brian: Yeah, I'd love to do an album with them again! I'm talking to them now. Steve's in for it. Andy wants to do an album, but not roadwork. I know Mick is in for it 'cause he's the only one that has nothing going for him. With the way things are going for me, I have a good chance of going out by myself anyway.

* * *

R.I.P. Brian Connolly, who passed away in February 1997 after suffering several heart attacks and liver failure.
R.I.P. Mick Tucker, who passed away in February 2002 from leukemia.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you. Have you considered putting these great stories in book form (e-book or print)? I'd buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've considered the idea, but so far not taken any action.

      Delete
  2. I don't get what was so awkward about this interview. Seems pretty normal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's four questions long & mostly to do with how much he disliked everything I loved about the band. At the time, I didn't know the backstory, or I would have steered the interview in a more serious direction. Plus, I was really creeped out when he said, "Come sit next to me, little girl." I'd never wanted to sit further away from anyone in my life!

      Delete
  3. I didn't think that interview was that bad. I was expecting a lot worse from the way you described it. But it's weird that you didn't know that Sweet hated the Chinn Chapman crap. They said that so many times in magazine interviews.
    I thought Sweet were incredibly talented musicians. The guitar and drum work on Desolation Boulevard is so amazing. I do think Swet were a little too gimmicky and kiddy at times though considering their talent. Their vocals were always amazing. I also think Queen copped a lot from The Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chinnichap were pop geniuses. Sweet's own material with a couple of exceptions was totally inferior.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear that other people think this interview is OK. But it still makes me cringe with embarrassment. I had no idea about Sweet's history or internal struggles. I only knew the singles I'd heard on the radio when I was a kid and the only things I'd read about them were published in teenybopper magazines - so, I probably knew their favorite colors when I was 10! I didn't have a chance to do any research before the interview. I met Brian's publicist one afternoon, and thought it would be fun to talk about the good old glam rock days. Sadly, that was the last thing Brian wanted to talk about.

    ReplyDelete